Thursday, December 15, 2011

Life isn't fair...

My mother used to tell me this all the time when I was growing up. Usually because I was upset that I couldn't go to a friends house, or I was being grounded for doing something I was specifically told not to. However, this life lesson is true about a lot of things. The thing is, that life isn't always fair, but we were never promised that.

Things happen all the time that suck, some of them seem little, like not being able to find a parking spot or being stuck in traffic that makes you ten minutes late. Other times it is something that you don't even know how to live through, and there are thousands of things in between.

The problem is, that sometimes we think that there is someone out there choosing every direction our lives go. The problem with that is that it feels wonderful when the things that happen are good, but to think that someone makes the choices to have things go bad is horrible.

My opinion? Sometimes the rain just falls. There is a Christian song from years ago that I always loved and it says:

And the rain falls on the good and bad, doesn't matter what you did, doesn't matter what you have
And the rain falls on the rich and poor, we don't know the reasons for the ways of Lord.

Sometimes things just happen, and it sucks. Every day I wish I could have a different story, but I don't. I have questioned so many times, "What did I do to deserve this?" I have been a good person, I haven't been perfect, but I couldn't believe I could deserve this horrible pain and suffering. And the answer to my question is nothing, no one is punishing me for anything. It was a fluke accident...it could have happened to the person who gave birth before me or the person laboring in the other room...it just rained...because life isn't always fair, or just. No one is out there making sure that each person only gets what they deserve...it doesn't work like that. Life on earth is full of happenings, and choices and boulders...we are all just doing the best we can with what is in front of us.

Life isn't fair, but it isn't out to get me either...everyday is hope for something better...

No comments:

Post a Comment